Sunday, 6 November 2011

DeeVeeDee, DooBeeDoo

By popular demand on Twitter – well OK, a couple of folks – I’m going to try and do one of the things I set out to do when resurrecting this blog and do some reviews of fillums what I have seen. I love movies, always have, but it frustrates me that the cost of actually going to see a new release in a cinema is just so prohibitive now. I used to go to advance free screenings but these seem to have dried up – the last one I went to was nearly a year ago to see “The King’s Speech” (terrific film by the way – get past all the Royal family pish and watch it for Geoffrey Rush just being his usual fantasticness). Therefore DVDs are my main mode of seeing movies nowadays

Anyway, to the background intro of Nina Simone with “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free” (the theme tune to the Film [add year] programmes with Barry Norman – I used to just call it “Film 84” as that was when I first remember watching and it stuck in my head! I haven’t watched it since Barry left as I loathe “Wossy” and I’m not sure if it’s still even on – I’ve heard the Claudia Winkletoes’ effort was unwatchable), here are my recommendations.

First up is “Thor” (directed by Kenneth Branagh, starring Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston et al).
I picked this one out as I had enjoyed the “Iron Man” films with Robert Downey Jr. in and was interested in the upcoming “Avengers” series. I do remember reading some Thor comics as a child but they never really grabbed me – I think it was the silly winged helmet. I have some knowledge of Norse mythology having hung about in my dark past with Odinists and I do think there is the assumption that the viewer will have some too as there was no real introduction to Odin, Loki and especially Thor’s friends Fandall, Sif and Vostagg and how they fit in. Anthony Hopkins (Odin) seems to have cornered the market in playing mythical elders after the dreadful “Beowulf” but doesn’t seem to do a lot (he’s asleep for most of the story). I was disappointed that when he appears on his famous six-legged horse Sleipnir you only see said beast for a few seconds – a CGI opportunity missed in my opinion. Everyone seems to have fun and it is a great romp with lots of snazzy effects and action but I couldn’t warm to it (particularly the Frost Giants – groan) despite the charms of the mightily built Mr. Hemsworth (one for the mums, if you like ‘em beefy, which I don’t) and my favourite from “The Wire” and “Luther”, Idris Elba (as the gatekeeper Hemdall). I felt it was just a precursor to “Captain America” (which is on my list of films to see) and to the Avengers film, which under the directorship of the amazing Joss Whedon I am more looking forward to.

Second on my list is the very different “Made In Dagenham” (directed by Nigel Cole, starring Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Kenneth Cranham, Geraldine James et al).
I do like a good homegrown film and I am fond of Sally Hawkins who I first noticed in the terrific “Happy Go Lucky” so I was looking forward to this. Based on the events surrounding the strike at the Ford Dagenham car plant by women machinists in 1968, it certainly captures the mood and feel of the time. Sally plays Rita O’Grady who has the leadership of the women thrust upon her when co-worker Connie (played by the always excellent Geraldine James) has to step aside when her husband (a nice turn and great wee performance by Roger Lloyd-Pack) falls ill. Ably supported by trade unionist Albert (a wonderful as ever Bob Hoskins – nice to see him back) and her colleagues (including Jaime Winstone, daughter of Ray and Andrea Riseborough, who I first noticed in “The Devil’s Whore”) Rita takes on not only the might of the Ford Empire fronted by Richard Schiff (forever Toby from “The West Wing” – which strangely I have never seen) and Rupert Graves but also the attitudes of the male-dominated trade union movement represented by bosses’ man Monty (the inimitable craftsman and firm favourite of mine Kenneth Cranham). A very uplifting and life-affirming film with a good cast that maybe could have been great if pushed a bit harder towards the inevitable conclusion and with great turns by Miranda Richardson and John Sessions as Barbara Castle and Harold Wilson and an underused Rosamund Pike as the wife of the UK boss inspired and befriended by Rita in a subplot about how a woman with an education in those days was still expected to be a housewife, I’d recommend it for an enjoyable watch and a nice slice of oft-forgotten history and education.

“Made In Dagenham” would have been my film of the week had I not seen “Hanna”.
Telling the tale of the eponymous mini-assassin (played by the ethereally lovely Saoirse Ronan from “The Lovely Bones”) who is raised in isolation and trained in the deadly arts by Erik (Eric Bana-na, as we call him in our house) until she must reveal her whereabouts to the world at large but specifically nemesis and would-be destroyer-in-designer-kitten-heels Marissa (Cate Blanchett). To say more would give away too much of the story but there are nice turns from Jason Flemyng, Olivia Williams and Kayleigh Morton as the hippie family travelling in their ramshackle bus who Hanna hitches an at first clandestine then rollicking ride with to her final and unavoidable confrontation with Marissa. A fairly predictable and pedestrian story of girl-with-guns-meets-world, what sets it apart from the rest of the week’s fare are the stunning visuals from director Joe Wright (“Atonement”) and cinematographer Alwin Küchler (“Morvern Callar” and “Ratcatcher”) taking us from a deer hunt in the snowy wilderness of Finland to a Grimm’s' fairytale house with mushrooms hanging down from the ceiling via the desert of Morocco, Spanish gypsy music and the Berlin subway, this a feast for the eyes that will stay with you long after the credits roll. With music by The Chemical Brothers, “Hanna” is a must-see.

I hope you have enjoyed my pale wee imitation of Mark Kermode here. If you want to see me review any more films or have your own recommendations or suggestions, leave a comment here or on my Twitter feed. If so, among those coming up hopefully (I have them on order from my local library – a great way to rent them, £1 for a week) are “Field Of Dreams” (which I have never seen despite being a sucker for a cheesy Costner film – “The Postman” which everyone else seems to hate is one of my favourites, along with “Dances With Wolves” and “Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves” – you have “Everything I Do, I Do It For You” worming in your ear now!), “The Way” which I have been looking forward to for ages directed by Emilio Estevez and starring his old dad Martin Sheen
, “Tamara Drew” (which I thought I wouldn’t fancy but saw the trailer for and it looked funny) and “Killing Bono”.

Til then, happy viewing x

No comments:

Post a Comment