Thursday, 28 October 2010

I Got A New Drug


Having had my ME/ Fibromyalgia for 7 years, I have today managed to convince my GP to let me try a new drug. Through the partner of another patient, it was suggested that I try Pregabalin, commonly known as Lyrica. I have to stop my other medication and take this 3 times a day for the next 3 weeks.
I am a bit scunnered, not with my own GP, but that again I have had to go out and find out things and tell him, not the other way aound. He told me that this medication is expensive but hey, I'm worth it! Looking it up on Wikipedia, I have discovered that it has been recommended for the treatment of Fibromylagia for 3 years. It makes me mad that this is not widespread knowledge.
Anyway, just a warning that if I seem a wee bit more doolally than usual, I can blame the drugs. Apparently the side effects are feelings of elation, changes in sexual interest (!) and "an abnormal style of walking". Oh and an increased appetite and weight gain, which kind of go together. So if you see a fat nympho doing Monty Python's Ministry For Silly Walks approaching, please say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment