





...or maybe you do? I've been having a bit of stick recently from female friends around my age. They think that at 43 I am far too old to be having pin-ups, crushes and fantasies. I say "phooey".
For as long as I can remember I have appreciated men. I'm a flaming heterosexual. I like to look at them and firmly believe that just because I've been in a relationship for almost 25 years, it doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the thought of other men. I do like the company of men and have always had male friends. I just think that it's less complicated to swoon over actors and singers than people in my social circle (not that there aren't some crackers there!).
My first crush, like a lot of women born in the late 1960's, was Donny Osmond. Yes, I know but I think it was the appeal of the large family - at 5 I was ready to become a Mormon!
Next was David Soul (Hutch from "Starsky and..."). I had one of those large fold out magazine/ posters above my bed. It was Hutch I liked - he was more sensitive than Starsky and seemed to be an early eco-friendly fella. I liked them rough and tough and also liked Martin Shaw as Doyle in "The Professionals" (but never Lewis Collins as Bodie - yuck!).
The 80s brought musicians but never the front-man - I much preferred John Taylor to Simon Le Bon or Gary Tibbs to Adam Ant. Yeah, I'll even admit to liking Richard Gere at this time but went off him when I found out I was taller than him (I never said I wasn't shallow). I discovered it was more fun to appreciate a film or a TV programme if there was some potential eye candy - Richard Hatch in "Battlestar Galactica", John Schneider in "The Dukes Of Hazzard" and Tom Selleck in "Magnum". I used to look forward to getting my copy of the "Jackie" for new posters to stick on my walls.
As I grew older and started to have boyfriends, it didn't dissapate. Michael Praed (Robin Of Sherwood) never hurt your feelings or messed you about.
I've never been into the "popular" movie stars though - I like Brad Pitt as an actor but he looks like a wee monkey to me and as for George Clooney, I don't get it. I prefer my fellas a bit more obscure - Viggo Mortensen was the only reason I watched "Lord Of The Rings" and if you aren't familiar with the work of Joss Whedon, then Marc Blucas, Nathan Fillion and Tahmoh Penniket will mean nothing to you.
I'm am intelligent and mature woman. As I said, I've kept a happy relationship going with the same man for almost a quarter of a century who doesn't mind my other "bits on the side". I don't think I'm emotionally stunted. Maybe I have never grown up past my teenage years but it doesn't make me a bad person.
So I'm going to go on enjoying my fantasy boyfriends. I'll keep watching my DVD of season 1 of "Dr Who" for Christopher Eccleston (which I asked for and got for Xmas)and "True Blood" (for just about every man on it - Alexander Skarsgard, Stephen Moyer, Ryan Kwanten et al). I'll keep dreaming about Wolverine and keep listening to Christian Kane. And yes, at my age I think I can still lust after the young ones like Joseph-Gordon Levitt (from Inception) and Aaron Jackson (Kick-Ass) while appreciating the more mature Jeff Bridges (my other half is basically the Dude a few years younger). I'm an equal opportunities fangirl and I'm never going to stop! I'll be sitting in my old rocking chair 40 years from now, still dreaming...
No comments:
Post a Comment