I may be overstepping the mark here but I want to share the scripts I am writing for my class. To give you a bit of background - Blue is the type of woman who does for others, looking after her teenage daughter and her elderly father. Her ex-husband is in jail for a second time. Then she meets someone who might care for her. Here, she discusses the new relationship with her best friend.
_______________________________________________________
INT COFFEE SHOP, FRIDAY, LATE AFTERNOON
BLUE is sitting at a table, cup of coffee going cold in her hand but not drinking it, staring off into space.
Her friend LEE enters the café laden with shopping bags, walks straight up to the table where BLUE is sitting, pulls out the chair opposite, places her bags on an empty chair and plonks herself down.
LEE (out of breath)
So, what’s so urgent that it can’t wait til us meeting up tomorrow? And that you couldn’t discuss over the phone?
BLUE
Sorry love. I just had to talk to you face to face. Ask your opinion about something.
LEE (concerned)
Is it Hughie? What’s that daft old sod gone and done now? Oh my god.
BLUE
No, no nothing like that. Dad’s fine. And so is Siobhan. I just needed to ask your (pauses) advice…
LEE (laughs)
What on earth can the world’s most organised and grounded woman possibly need advice from me on?
LEE waves over a WAITRESS.
LEE
A double expresso and some cold milk for me. In a wee jug. A refill, Blue?
BLUE
No nothing for me thanks. I just need to ask you something. I went to see Andy…
LEE snorts.
LEE
Don’t tell me you’re still carrying a torch for him. What’s he said? I swear…
BLUE
No, no. It’s not like that. It’s just (pause) when I went to see him last time, I felt so…guilty.
LEE
What have you got to feel guilty about? The way you still run after that scunner. After what he did, the stupid fucker, leaving you and Siobhan in the lurch. Again.
BLUE
Lee, I still care about him. You know that. What he did, it doesn’t change that. And he’s a good friend to me still.
LEE harrumphs.
BLUE (cont.)
He cares about Siobhan. And me. In his own way.
The WAITRESS brings over Lee’s coffee and milk on a tray.
LEE (to WAITRESS)
Thanks pet.
(to BLUE)
If he had given a damn about you two, he’d have…
BLUE lets out a sigh – she’s heard it all before.
BLUE
Listen to me Lee. I don’t know what to do. I’ve sort of…met someone else.
LEE
What do you mean”sort of?” (leans forward) Do tell. (salacious wink)
BLUE
You remember the guy from Head Office I told you about?
LEE
Sam, wasn’t it? You said he was a pain in the arse.
BLUE
Yes. I mean no. I mean, I though he would be but he was really helpful. Anyway, some of the girls had a wee going away do for him.
LEE
I thought you never went out with people from work. Bunch of boozebags you said. And you being sober for 7 years…
BLUE
I wanted to go. He was really nice. And we got talking. And…
(LEE leans closer in, almost right across the table to BLUE, pushing her expresso cup to one side.
LEE
And…
BLUE
He came back to the flat with me afterwards. Siobhan was staying over at Dad’s.
LEE
And…?
BLUE
And…
LEE (loudly)
Never! You never did!
BLUE
Shush. Shush. Yes, I did. (laughs) Three times.
LEE
Three times? Bloody hell Blue.
BLUE
(quietly) So, what do I tell Andy?
LEE
Nothing. That’s what you tell him. Not a damn thing.
BLUE
But he has to know. It’s only fair.
LEE
Look, the divorce was his idea. You both decided it was for the best. Especially with him going back to the garage like that, so soon after last time.
BLUE
But I owe him Lee. What he did for me…
LEE
..was only right. You sticking up for him all that time. He did what any man would have. It was easier for him. You couldn’t have taken the rap for that. Not with you still pregnant. And Hughie being ill. What would it have done to him?
(pauses)
Andy stepped up. He did the time.
BLUE
I know. I know. I feel, I just feel…
LEE
What you feel is only natural. After what that bastard Ferry did to you. Andy said himself, if he’s got to him first, he’d have killed him.
BLUE
I suppose…
LEE
He did the time for you. And you looked after him. Still do. That he’s back in now is his own stupid fault. Getting mixed up in drugs. He knew the risks.
BLUE
How do I tell him? What do I say?
LEE
What is there to tell? You’ve been with this guy…
BLUE
Sam.
LEE
Sam. What, once?
BLUE
Twice. He came back up last weekend. He’s asked me to go down next week.
LEE
Down where? If you’ve done it four times, I thought you’d have done THAT by now.
BLUE
(smiles) No. I mean down to where he lives. Leeds.
LEE
So what’s the problem?
BLUE
It’s Dad. He has been acting funny. Being really forgetful
LEE
So get that useless twat of a sister of yours to pull her finger out. High time she did her bit. Instead of leaving it all to you.
BLUE
I suppose so. (Takes a sip of her now cold coffee). Yuck. I’m going up for another. Want anything?
LEE Sure, get me one. And a bit of chocolate cake. I need cake.
BLUE gets up and walks to the counter.
LEE (to herself)
Bloody good for you love. About fucking time.
(c) Jeanne Andrew 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment