Here is a second script I wrote for my class. I didn't present it to class for reasons that will be obvious but my tutor read it. In this one, Blue is talking to her new lover about her past.
_____________________________________________________________
INT. SAM’s bedroom Sunday, early morning.
SAM and BLUE are lying on SAM’s bed, naked under a duvet. BLUE is lying on her right side, facing away from SAM. SAM is lying spooned into BLUE’s back and legs, his left arm caressing her hair.
SAM
Your hair is lovely, you know? So soft, so beautiful like you.
BLUE
Soft like you, you mean? (laughs)
SAM pretends to take a slight at this remark and playfully swats her bottom through the duvet.
BLUE
Well, you are.
SAM
Why can’t you just take a compliment, without making a joke?
BLUE
Go on then compliment me more.
SAM
(rubs his left arm down from her shoulder and round onto her breast)
Your skin is like velvet. Your breasts are like round, ripening fruit.
BLUE
Yeah, 2 for a pound in Lidl.
SAM moves back slightly and pushes down on BLUE’s left shoulder, so that she is now lying on her back, her breasts exposed.
SAM
And you nipples (bends his head and brushes his lips over her left one)
are like the sweetest, juiciest (licks his tongue over) berries.
BLUE moans softly, then gathers up the duvet to cover her breasts to reinstate her modesty.
SAM
What did you do that for? I had more to tell you.
BLUE
I’m sure that you did.
(chuckles)
Actually, I have some things I want to tell you. About me.
SAM
That I don’t already know. That you smell like (buries his face into the side of her neck) mmm…. melting chocolate.
BLUE
You should know- you make me melt.
SAM
Let me try. (moves his left hand under the duvet)
BLUE
(shimmies her shoulder and head up onto the pillow, pulls up SAM’s hand from under the covers and places it on top of the covers over her breasts)
No. In a while, lover. I need to talk to you.
SAM
(shimmies up to join her on the pillow, pulls her to him)
OK, this sounds serious. What’s on your mind love?
BLUE
You remember I told you I was divorced?
SAM
Yes. Married once before. I have sullied goods.
(Kisses Sam on the side of her jaw).
BLUE
Hey you, focus. And less of the sullied. Well my husband Andy...
SAM
Don’t you mean “ex-husband”?
BLUE
Yes, (emphasis) EX-husband. I told you he had moved away from Glasgow. Well, he’s near Glasgow. In Greenock.
SAM
Green-ock. Sounds like something in darts. “Stand on the green-ocky”. (smiles)
BLUE
(also smiles, then makes a serious face)
What I didn’t say was, he’s in prison. Greenock Prison.
SAM
Any man foolish enough to let you go should be put in prison. For crimes against love. (moves his hand from BLUE’s breast up to gently touch her face)
BLUE
(moving her cheek away from his hand)
Don’t. He was sentenced in 2007. He got mixed up in what he thought was a “get-rich-quick” scheme and was caught. They gave him 14 years for possession and the intention to deal and supply.
SAM
Heroin was it?
BLUE
And coke. And ecstacy. Lots.
SAM
Blimey. Still, 14 years, that’s a bit steep.
BLUE
Well, he had been in prison before.
SAM
Oh.
(leans up on his left elbow, his gaze intent on BLUE)
BLUE
Yes. Just after Siobhan was born. For aggravated assault.
SAM
Like GBH?
BLUE nods.
SAM
Wow, that’s heavy. What did he do? It wasn’t against you was it?
BLUE
No, oh no. He didn’t do anything.
SAM
What? He was wrongly convicted? How could that be? Didn’t you…
BLUE
He was covering for me.
SAM
You? What do you mean? I don’t understand.
BLUE
You know how I told you I don’t drink?
(SAM nods)
Well, I’m an alcoholic. I’ve been sober for 7 years. In the old days, I used to drink a lot. We all did. Anyway, we had these friends. Well, not friends really, more partners in drink.
SAM
Oh.
BLUE
Brian and Aileen Ferry. We used to go to the pub, get hammered, go dancing. That is, if we weren’t knocked back by the bouncers.
SAM
Haven’t we all?
BLUE
Not like this. We were stupid. Anyway, one night, we got a taxi back to ours after. We had a few more drinks. Aileen was drowsy, went to lie down in our spare room. I think at some point Andy went to bed in ours. I nodded off too.
SAM
Been there, been there.
BLUE
The next thing I knew, I was aware of a hand touching my breast. The smell of lager in my face. Heavy breathing.
(puts her hand up to her face, remembering)
I realised my skirt was pulled up. Brian was between my legs, trying to, trying to...
SAM
My god. He was…
BLUE
Yes. I sat up. Pushed him away, pulled my skirt back down. He grabbed my arms. Shoved me hard, back into the couch, forcing me knees apart again.
INT: The living room of ANDY and BLUE’s old flat. The early hours of a Sunday morning, 1995.
BRIAN is leaning hard into BLUE, grinding against her.
BLUE
Get of me Brian. Get off. Please.
BRIAN
Come on now, hen. You know you want it. You know you want me.
BLUE
Brian, please. I’m pregnant.
BRIAN
The baby’ll no’ mind. I fucked Aileen all the time when she was pregnant with our two. Lassies like it.
BLUE
Not me Brian. I don’t. Stop. Please. Andy…
BRIAN
Andy is passed out. He’ll no’ bother us. And he can have Aileen after. If he has a mind tae.
BLUE struggles under his weight.
BLUE
Brian. Stop. Now. Get off of me. You’re hurting me.
BRIAN
It’ll be OK. Nearly done. Relax.
BLUE
(louder) Brian. Get off. Stop this.
BLUE tries to push herself up and BRIAN off of her. BRIAN shoves her back, holding her down with one arm, slaps BLUE hard across the mouth, drawing blood.
BRIAN
Haud the fuck still woman.
BLUE breaks an arm free, reaches around to find something, knocking over a lamp. Her hand grabs a heavy marble ornament. She brings it crashing down on BRIAN’s head. And again. He rolls, off, looking up at her.
BRIAN
Ya fucking bitch. I’ll fucking kill you. And your baby.
BLUE pushes herself up, raises her arm, and brings the ornament crashing down into BRIAN’s face. And again. She raises her arm again. ANDY rushes in.
ANDY
Blue. Blue. For fuck’s sake…
INT: Sam’s bedroom. Sunday, early morning.
BLUE is crying.
SAM
Jesus.
BLUE
Andy decided right there. He was going to tell the cops he did it. Came in and found Brian on me. I didn’t want him to but he said no. It’d be for the best, what with the baby and my dad being ill at the time. We were so scared. I thought I was going to lose the baby.
SAM
Come here love. (pulls BLUE close, holds her in his arms)
BLUE
He went to prison. For 4 years. Did the time with no complaint. We tried to make it work after he came home. But it was there, it was always there.
SAM
It’s OK, it’s OK.
BLUE
I still care about him, Sam. I can’t stop caring. I just…I just wanted you to know.
SAM
I understand, love.
BLUE
You do?
SAM
Blue, it’s OK.
BLUE
I think..I think I could love you Sam Eastman.
SAM
Good. So love me now.
And BLUE does.
(c) Jeanne Andrew 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment