Monday, 9 January 2012

Evolve Rather Than Resolve

So it's "back to normal" or what passes for normal in our house. Yesterday was the last official day of our festive season, being Vee's 15th birthday. Gee and I managed to pick up some cheapo CDs in HMV plus a Thin Lizzy greatest hits one in Asda (Vee does like Thin Lizzy - she has an amazingly eclectic taste in music, as do we all) which I'm going to want to pinch for my iPod. I made her a cake (see pic) which wasn't entirely successful as I was trying to cook dinner for 5 people at the same time so it collapsed a bit under the strain but it was yummy. She had asked for a "rainbow cake" but despite my best efforts at mixing blue, red and yellow food colouring it came out looking like radioactive sludge. Still, it's being eaten. We also had a mini Game Of Thrones marathon - all 3 of us are addicted, so much so that Vee has us doing all these online quiz things - so I'm Allysane Sand from the House Of Stark.
Gee and I have taken down the tree and all its decorations - we always leave it up til after Vee's birthday. I don't hold with all the "bad luck" nonsense that surrounds the festive season - my luck or fortune won't be changed by whether I still have fairy lights in my livingroom (they are staying for the time being) or if I went into the New Year with a tidy house. I am sad to see it go though and there's a big empty space in our back-to-front room (in the houses in our street we all have a long room with a wide arch - everyone but us has their "livingroom" with big couches and even bigger TVs at the front of the house and use the end near the back as a small dining space. Dancing to a different drum, we have our wee couches at the back as it's more cosy for reading and watching DVDs and at the front we have our PC and a big dining table with lots of chairs, which is where we eat and tend to sit if we have company) that will no doubt fill up with the detritus and clutter of our mad lives.
This morning however we were all up at 6.30 as Vee is back at school. I'm doing boring stuff like keeping the household accounts (we have sinned a bit by using the debit card to pay for some shopping but only because we weren't near a cash machine - we even forgot to take cards out when we met the out-laws for lunch and had to ask Vee to pay for ours using her birthday money! But we paid her back and got the olds to eat in a vegan eaterie), making soup and doing laundry. I am keeping to some of my evolutions - I have made an appointment to meet with a guy at Easterhouse sports centre next Tuesday as part of my GP exercise referral (that will be a laugh) and I'm cutting back on some foods (only one sugar in my tea now and less bread) while upping others (I am swigging Adam's Ale from a sports bottle as I type and yesterday I bought fruit - yes, fruit - it's a long standing joke in out tribe that I don't eat fruit. My mother just never bought any!) and walking more, even in the rain. I was planning to look at the screenwriting books again but I'll leave that til tomorrow.
I'm managing to keep in a good mood - reading, cooking and indulging my new obsessions of the afore-and-much-mentioned Game Of Thrones and a certain young Professor. And I might have signed up to join a choir, even though I can't carry a tune in a bucket! I think it's too easy too get caught up in all the things life and the media try to distract us with but I'm determined that a positive change is going to come and that it must come from me xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment