So, in my efforts to be fitter and healthier in 2012, I went along to my appointment with Kevin at Easterhouse Sports Centre. It’s just my luck that at a time where I decide to take steps, my local leisure centre in Tollcross closes down for refurbishment in preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games until next Spring so that what could have been a short walk now means a bus or bike journey and more expense. C’est la vie! Anyway, I managed to conquer my dislike of all things sporty and went along to see what’s what. Kevin was actually very nice – I was expecting something like my old gym teachers from school, fascists in polyester tracksuits to a man and woman (one tried to get me run another circuit of the school in what they laughingly called “cross-country running” on my day back after recovering from being knocked down by a car because I walked most of the way and another suggested that when my mother wrote me a note saying we couldn’t afford to buy me a swimming costume for a 4 week block of swimming that I borrow one!) but he was very pleasant and supportive. He asked me about my various conditions, admitting that he had never comes across Grave’s Disease before then we discussed why I wanted to take steps, which are of course to shed some weight (I don’t have spare tyres but one huge eighteen-wheeler truck sized one!) but also to increase my stamina levels and maybe, just maybe, make me fit enough to look at getting back to working. He first suggested the health walks at my local park – basically walking round in a group led by instructors. I am quite keen to do this – as much as I usually walk the dog around a couple of times on a good day I am finding that at some points I am struggling and feeling sore so if I could get some advice on how to warm up, relieve shin splints etc. would be good. I would have gone on one yesterday (they are on a Monday morning and a Wednesday afternoon) but I had arranged to go and visit my gal pal beforehand. Kevin also suggested that I start off by joining what he calls a “step in” class, where you go along and do circuits in the multi-activity gym. Now, again harkening back to the dark days of 1980’s PE lessons, it did put me in mind of the old “circuit training” where you would go and do star jumps for 5 minutes then squat thrusts (is it me or does that always sound vaguely sexual? Just me then.) for 5 then something equally pointless for another 5 and so on, so I wasn’t keen but he assured me that things have progressed since then and now you get to have a shot on proper gym equipment like exercise bikes. I’m going to go then on Monday with an open mind. Kevin said that if I found that class too easy (they are graded for people who have different health conditions and fitness levels) I could try the Thursday “step up” class. He also suggested that later on I might want to try classes like Zumba (which remains a mystery to me – I think it’s like something to do with Samba dancing but I have fears that I will have to defend a missionary station in the Transvaal from attacking tribes) or yoga. The dreaded swimming was also mentioned – I almost drowned as a child and while I can be swimming along quite the thing and then suddenly feel I have to put my feet down and if I can’t, I panic – and I said I would think about it. Also any time I have tried swimming having ME and Fibro, while not drowning in the process I have come away feeling really tired and have to go for a sleep, which buggers up my day and rhythms. The beauty of joining what they call “Glasgow Club” is that, as with other council facilities like the libraries, I can use the facilities in any sport and leisure centre in the city, so if for any reason I miss a class in Easterhouse I can go elsewhere. My Vitality classes, as they are called, are £2.50 a session and with my membership card I can get 50% off other classes and the dreaded swimming for a year. Kevin has promised to keep in touch and will meet with me at 6 and 12 months. I really want to do this so was really scunnered yesterday when I had a wee flare-up again. Thankfully they are few and far between these days but when they come on, they come on like Dambusters. I get a headache (which is always a sign as I don’t normally suffer from them day to day) and start feeling sore in my hands and feet then all over. I took to my bed in the late afternoon with painkillers and basically stayed there til this morning. I’m still feeling quite sore in my hands (but not enough that I can’t type) and in Fibro sites like my chest muscles and calves but at least I’m up and doing stuff even if it is only sitting on my arse here. I am trying to be more positive and keep to my goals and not have another year where my disabilities are in charge but that I am. Wish me luck my loves xxx
I wish you luck and send you love, love, love. :) x
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you!
ReplyDelete-Suzie Carr
@girl_novelist