I’ve been making a real fuss on Twitter about the account seemingly registered to the paedophile and pederast Paul Gadd, known to the world by his stage name of Gary Glitter. I am hoping that this turns out to be a sick bogus account and that the loser who is Tweeting gets fed up and crawls back into the hole from whence they came.
However if it does turn out that this is a genuine account then some questions should be asked. Not only how someone who signed the Sex Offenders Register and who will be on it for life for a conviction here in the UK in 1999 and 4 months’ imprisonment for possession of thousands of downloaded items of child pornography but also for his conviction in Vietnam as recently as 2006 for committing obscene acts with minors, including young girls aged 10 and 11, has managed to avoid or circumvent what surley must be a condition of his bail and license that prevents him from accessing chatrooms and social networking sites on the internet but also his publicly stated plans to tour and travel the country. I may be wrong but surely another condition of his being on the Sex Offenders Register is that he must notify police of his whereabouts and plans to travel within the UK? He also has a Foreign Travel Order, banning him from overseas travel. In my opinion, if he is not free to venture abroad and endanger children there, he should not be able to travel about the UK either and put our young people at risk.
I understand that the law has no power to ban individuals from using the Internet – people use it to pay bills, check the weather, shop etc. but I am concerned as to why no-one is asking how this paedophile Gadd is able to access a site such as Twitter without censure.
What is making my blood boil more than anything else are the numbers of people – currently just shy of 18,000 – who are following this criminal and are making remarks such as “You are an inspiration to everyone”, “..a big influence on my life”, “..there are still some people out there that think people deserve a second chance” – what kind of people are influenced and inspired by such a vile man? And as for “second chances” – what, second chances to commit more crimes like the ones he was convicted of? It is well documented that paedophile Gadd/ Glitter is unrepentant and claims innocence despite his sentences. And his victims will never be given a second chance.
I am a forgiving person and I believe that people can change and go on to lead better lives. However, for that to happen they have to admit and face up to their wrongdoing, which Gadd has not.
I am lucky in that I have never personally experienced being sexually abused but I know plenty of people, both men and women, who have. I know the pain, hurt and anger they feel. My own mother was sexually abused by her mother’s brother Arthur Wilson, her uncle and she only ever spoke to me of it once – it had been hushed up and the bastard packed off to Australia – but I know that it did damage her deeply. One time she asked me if my dad had ever tried to touch me and I was able to answer with an emphatic “no” and was horrified that she would suspect him but can understand why she did ask as we were very close and part of my mother’s damage was her suspicion of any close relationship.
The sexual abuse of children is wrong and there is no getting away from that. On the same day that a man from Grangemouth here in Scotland was jailed for raping a 14 MONTH OLD GIRL (yes, you read that correctly – a baby) and having a lifelong restriction order placed upon him and although he was sentenced to 4 months has been told that he shall be detained until he no longer poses a threat to the public and in a world where other paedophiles like Roman Polanski are defended by the likes of Johnny Depp and Ewan McGregor, we have to ask ourselves, should we forgive? Maybe, but we must never, ever forget and we must watch these individuals like a hawk because the dangers they pose to our children must far outweigh their perceived contributions to music, film or the arts. Peace xxx
Everyone should be given the chance to redeem themselves. Gary Glitter has chosen not to do so, thus far. Ergo, all restrictions should be enforced, to the letter!!!! (ps. if this changes and he dose try to refom, that does not mean that he should imediately be allowed to roam free)
ReplyDeletePowerful stuff; great post.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't aware of this at all Jeanne. I must have missed your tweets about it. My first reaction to reading this was that surely it's a fake account. But I suspect I may be being a little naive in assuming that someone convicted of this kind of abuse of minors would want to keep a low profile. The truth, unfortunately, is that because of their mind-set they probably see nothing wrong with wanting to be on a site such as Twitter, if after all they are not owning the guilt of their crime. Have you emailed Twitter about this to ask if the account is a 'confirmed' one, as they act against false accounts as far as I know.
ReplyDelete