Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Advent Calendar day 21


Happy Solstice! This is the shortest day in terms of daylight but not in fun. Things seems a wee bit more festive - I don't know about you but up til today I had noticed a distinct lack of Xmas trees and lights but today, they seem to have all come on together. It made walking Vee to school and the dog around the park a wee bit more special this morning.
Today's suggested "best of..." list as suggested by Google is "The Best Pasta" - which makes me smile. Although I have been told I have some Spanish ancestry via my maternal grandfather's mother, I do wonder if it was or also includes some Italian blood. I LOVE pasta - I have recently dicovered linguine after years of spaghetti. My favourite way to serve it is with finely cut/ julienne carrots, leeks and courgettes with garlic cooked in a tightly lidded pan with margarine til soft then stirred into cooked linguine and grated cheddar. I also love making lentil lasagne, macaroni cheese, pasta all Siracusana (which we had last night - roasted aubergine and red/ yellow peppers mived with a garlicky tomato sauce and penne then topped with mozzarella in an oven dish for 20 minutes. I'm not so into ravioli or cannelloni but I think that 2012 may be the year I try my hand at making some.
For me, the festive season isn't complete without "It's A Wonderful Life" - one of my all time favourite movies. I totally concur with Dave Lister from "Red Dwarf" - If I could live anywhere, it would be Bedford Falls. However, a pox on you if you think it should be colourised! I'm off to watch it so I'll leave you with my favourite seasonal song. It's mine and Gee's tune - which may seems strange but then we are. Yule blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment