Today's blog is brought to you by Beecham's Cold and Flu Powders with extra honey, lime and cider vinegar and garlic on toast. Yes folks I have acquired yet another cold so am hitting it with heavy artillery so I make no apologies if you get a whiff of salad dressing or are a vampire.
I hear on the news that the budget for the London Olympics has been doubled from £40 million to £80 million with only 9 months to go. I am once again astounded that a country so close to flatlining, as one of my Twitter pals described it to me, and that is asking everyone to be canny can find that sort of money to spend on what is frankly a luxury. Being a lifelong undevotee of sport in general and the Olympics in particular which to me is an ongoing junket rife with corruption that has nothing to do with sport anymore, I am spitting mad that this happens in the same week that patients who are undergoing chemotherapy as part of their cancer treatment are now required to participate in "fitness for work" tests in order to receive benefits. Honestly this country is going to Hell in a handbasket - our private medical files are going to be made available to private medical companies, our teenagers are being made to work for £53 a week full-time for companies like Tesco who are appearing like Triffids on every corner (we have 2 within walking distance and I mean large supermarkets, not their express shops) and a film has been made about Margaret Thatcher which although I have heard paints her in her now declining years with dementia will no doubt lionise her political years and not show her out to be the horrendous politician who tried to grind we Scots under her jackboot with the Poll Tax (and failed!).
To brighten my mood and cheer us all up as Winter reminds us of her presence, here's another wee tune for you. Today it's the turn of the excellently monickered Holcombe Waller who comes from Portland, Oregon (a real hotbed for new and exciting music I reckon) via California. He is a performance artist as well as a musician and I think you'll like what he has done with this interpretation of Buffy Sainte-Marie's song about her birthplace xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment